About Read 2 Succeed
Read 2 Succeed works to get more books into the hands of young readers and provide literacy-themed events to children from economically disadvantaged backgrounds within our service area. Rooted in the belief that by empowering children to read we can open them up a world of possibilities, JLSN has focused our efforts on three proven techniques:
• Reading aloud to children
• Making books, especially bilingual books, more accessible to children
• Helping parents be effective advocates for their child’s education
JLSN aims to do this through various programs.
Family Literacy Nights
The cornerstone of Read 2 Succeed, Family Literacy Nights take a two-prong approach to improving literacy skills. JLSN and Stamford Public Education Foundation (SPEF) host Springdale Elementary School ESL students living in Stamford’s South End for literacy-focused events throughout the school year and over the summer.
Volunteers read aloud with children and practice reading drills while their parents participate in sessions to help them reinforce literacy skills at home. With topics ranging from how to interpret state test results to navigating parent-teacher conferences, parents are given an invaluable opportunity to meet with their children’s teachers and ask questions about their education. At the end of the night, children go home with copies of the books they’ve read and a goody bag stuffed with healthy treats.
Family Literacy Nights originally included 30 kindergarten and first grade students and currently serves approximately 60 kindergarten, first grade, and second grade students.
Reading Rooms & Lending Libraries
JLSN works with organizations within our service area to create lending libraries and reading rooms.
- In February 2015, JLSN donated 200 books to create a lending library at Davenport Ridge Elementary School in Stamford.
- In October 2015, JLSN revitalized the Family Resource Center at Norwalk’s Open Door Shelter (ODS) to provide children in the shelter with an after school room and lending library. JLSN hosts Family Literacy Nights at ODS throughout the year.
JLSN hosts community book drives to collect new and gently used books for elementary school children.
Individuals or corporations interested in supporting Read 2 Succeed can host book drives, donate books, sponsor a Family Literacy Night, or contribute funds to purchase books and other materials for reading rooms. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get involved.